We are pleased to inform that Mr. Sudip Paul (Ph.D student at School of Biomedical Engineering) at our institute has received Sushruta Innovation Award. This prestigious national award was given by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. Mr. Sudip Paul developed and designed “Low Cost Multi-Use Hearing Aid” as a part of his M. Tech project under the supervision of Prof. Ranjana Patnaik, School of Biomedical Engineering, IT-BHU and co-supervised by Mr. Nachiketa Rout, Lecturer, Speech and Hearing, Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, ERC, Kolkata.
The design and fabrication part has been done successfully and thereafter the prototype was field tested by the help of 31 hearing impaired people and is reported to be better in every respect from the hearing aid used presently.
For this context, Sudip received National Award on 12th February 2011 (Sushruta Innovation Award) by Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India. He received cash prize @ Rs 50000, a First prize winner certificate and a memento from DST.
According to the organizing committee, "Entries included medical device innovations in the field of diagnostic, orthopedics, therapeutics, implants, packaging and automation. Out of the 46 applications received, 14 applications have been shortlisted on the bases of innovativeness and market potential of their idea. The top 2 finalists are Mr. Sudip Paul from Banaras Hindu University and Miss Neetha John from Avinashilingam Deemed University for Women, Coimbatore.
Sudip is planning for patenting the idea from Banaras Hindu University.
The relevant award certificate, citations and photos are attached.
School of Biomedical Engineering
Institute of Technology
Banaras Hindu University
Contact No: 09452827886, 09433117532; 033-25135153 (Res)
Click here for resume of Sudip: CV of Sudip Paul.docx
For Chronicle, Yogesh K. Upadhyaya asks some questions to Sudip Paul:
Q-1: Sudip, congratulations for getting the award. What is this award about?
- National Award (Sushruta Innovation Award) is given by Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.
- The award recognizes the most innovative medical device idea / prototype by the students from the field of biomedical engineering and medical technology in India.
- The competition was implemented by the Foundation for MSME Clusters under the Promoting Innovation Clusters programme (PIC) (www.innovationclusters.org), which is supported by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology, India.
Q-2: How did your entry stand out from others?
The project entitled: “Low Cost Multi-Use Hearing Aid” has been developed by me under the supervision of Prof. Ranjana Patnaik, School of Biomedical Engineering, IT-BHU and co-supervised by Mr. Nachiketa Rout, Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, Kolkata.
· The total plan of actions was divided in three stages:
1. Identification of users needs (CONCEPTION OF DEVELOPING A HEARING AID WITH OTHER FACILITIES),
2. Preparation of prototype,
3. Field test and compilation of research.
· The prototype was considered for the following benefits:
1. Strong class Hearing aid
2. Rechargeable battery (Li-ion) facility
3. Wireless door bell vibration system
4. Torch light facility
5. Low battery indicator
6. Electro Acoustic Facility (EAC)
The total cost for developing such prototype was Rs. 936 which is much lesser than the other market available Hearing aid. My basic intention was to develop such kind of instrument in such a way that poor people can get it easily. Also planning to come under ADIP Scheme (Govt. is proving the hearing aid free of cost whose monthly income of 6500 rupees and below).
Click here to view PowerPoint presentation: Sudip-detail diagrams.pptx
Q-3: Please tell us about yourself
Presently, I am a Ph.D student (Senior Research Scholar) of School of Biomedical Engineering, Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University. My research theme is Electrophysiological signal analysis. I am working under the supervision of Prof. Ranjana Patnaik, School of Biomedical Engineering, IT-BHU and co-supervised by Prof. J. P. Tiwari and Dr. Neeraj Sharma, Department of Electrical Engineering and School of Biomedical Engineering, IT-BHU respectively.
For details: please find attached RESUME
(From left to right): Mr. Sudip Paul, Prof. Y. K. Alagh, Mr. Piyush Jain, Mr. Balaji
Mr. Sudip Paul receiving prize from Prof. Y. K. Alagh
*Sudip Paul in LinkedIn:
M. Tech. in Biomedical Engineering (2009), IT-BHU, Varanasi.
B. Tech. in Biomedical Engineering (2007), West Bengal University of Technology, Kolkata.
*School of Biomedical Engineering, IT-BHU, Varanasi, India
*Sushruta Innovation Award
* MSME Clusters
Clusters in India
A cluster is a sector targeted geographical concentration of micro and/ or small & medium enterprises (MSMEs/MSMEs), service providers and institutions faced with common opportunities and threats. In other words, a cluster of MSMEs is a concentration of economic enterprises, producing a typical product/service or a complementary range of products/services within a geographical area. The location of such enterprises can span over a few villages, a town or a city and its surrounding areas. Thus a cluster of MSMEs, hereafter referred to as “cluster”, is identified by the ‘product/service’ that the micro and small enterprises produce and the ‘place’ where the enterprises are located. Foundation for MSME Clusters assists institutions in undertaking cluster based local area development, effectively and inclusively in developing and transition economies.
Features of Cluster:
- Give rise to collective benefits, for example through the spontaneous inflow of suppliers of raw materials, components and machinery or the availability of workers with sector specific skills.
- Favour the creation of providers of specialised technical,administrative and financial services.
- Create a conducive environment for the development of inter-firm co-operation as well as of co-operation among public and private institutions to promote local production, innovation and collective learning.
Clusters: Some Facts
- Around 636 SME (industrial) and 6000 artisan/micro enterprises clusters are estimated to exist in India.
- The micro and SME clusters in India are estimated to have a significantly high share in employment generation.
* Conference on Indian Medical Devices & Plastics Disposables Industry 2011
Feb. 11 - 12, 2011
Venue: Ahmedabad, India
Sponsored By Government of Gujarat (Part of Vibrant Gujarat Event Series)
* Ali Yavar Nation Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, ERC, Kolkata.
Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH) was established on 9th August 1983. It is an autonomous organisation under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, New Delhi. The Institute is located at Bandra (West), Mumbai – 400 050.
Regional Centres of the Institute have been established at Kolkata (1984), New Delhi (1986), Secundarabad (1986) and Bhubaneshwar (1986- in association with Government of Orissa). These are centres aimed at meeting the local and regional needs in terms of manpower development and services.
The District Disability Rehabilitation Centre (DDRCs) under Gramin Punarvasan Yojana (GPY) a programme of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India was started in the year 2000. The objective of the programme is to provide total rehabilitation to persons with sensory (hearing and vision), physical and mental disabilities.
Under this programme, 24 DDRCs were allotted to AYJNIHH. Out of which 21 DDRCs, on completion of successful establishment and running for three years, are handed over to State Governments/District Administration/NGO.
Composite Regional Center (CRC), Bhopal is a service model initiated by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India, established on 14th August, 2000. The Center is functioning under the administrative control of AYJNIHH since February, 2006.
Leave a comment(if you having troubles, try posting your comment on this page or send an email to chronicle @ itbhuglobal.org)
Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University
Varanasi 221005, UP