(Chronicle note: We are extremely proud that our alumnus, Prof. S. N. Tripathi (Civil 1992) has won the prestigious 2014 Bhatnagar Award from CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research), India. It is the highest award given to any scientist by Govt. of India. Prof. S. N. Tripathi is currently Professor at Dept. of Civil Engineering at IIT-Kanpur.
Prof. Tripathi can be reached at: email@example.com
Earlier our other alumnus, Prof. Anil Bhardwaj (PhD. Applied Physics 1992) received Bhatnagar Award in 2007).
(Prof. S. N. Tripathi)
CSIR selects 10 scientists for prestigious Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award
Vishwa Mohan, TNN | Sep 26, 2014, 08.52PM IST
NEW DELHI: Ten scientists from across premier Indian research institutions have been selected for the country's prestigious Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award for the year 2014.
This annual award is conferred to selected scientists for their outstanding works in the field of science and technology. It consists of a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, a citation and a plaque.
The award was announced on Friday by P S Ahuja, director general of the Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) during the CSIR's 72st foundation day celebrations here.
The awardees are as under:
Biological Sciences Dr. Roop Mallik Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Mumbai
Chemical Sciences Dr. Kavirayani Ramakrishna Prasad Indian Institute of Science Bengaluru.
Dr. Souvik Maiti Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB) New Delhi.
Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences Dr. Sachchida Nand Tripathi Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
Engineering Sciences Dr. S Venkata Mohan Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT) Hyderabad.
Dr. Soumen Chakrabarti Indian Institute of Technology Mumbai.
Mathematical Sciences Dr. Kaushal Kumar Verma Indian Institute of Science Bengaluru.
Medical Sciences Dr. Anurag Agrawal Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB) New Delhi.
Physical Sciences Dr. Pratap Raychaudhuri Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Mumbai.
Dr. Sadiqali Abbas Rangwala Raman Research Institute Bengaluru.
*Profile of Prof. S. N. Tripathi
Room No.: 314
Department of Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology‐Kanpur, Kanpur‐208016
Telephone: 0512‐2597845, 09415050540
Primary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Alternate Email: email@example.com
B. Tech. (Civil Engineering), IIT‐BHU (1992)
M. Tech. (Environmental Engineering), MNIT‐Allahabad (1994)
Ph.D. (Environmental Engineering), University of Reading, UK (2000)
Field of Specialisation: Atmospheric Science
I conduct laboratory experiments of aerosols to quantify their spectral absorption, hygroscopic and microphysical properties. We also formulate various modeling tools to improve process‐level understanding
(e.g. role of mixing state, brown carbon) of these properties including new particle formation.
In addition, I am conducting comprehensive analyses to improve our understanding of physical and optical properties of aerosols over the Indo‐Gangetic Basin. This involves aerosol‐related data from various platforms including long‐term ground based and satellite, as well as intensive short‐ term campaign. Our ultimate goal is to accurately represent aerosol effects in the regional climate‐chemistry models that are used to estimate the climate and health impacts of aerosols over the Indo‐Gangetic Basin. I am also interested in the development of new techniques for measurement of aerosol absorption.
The next issue will be November 2014 issue, to be published by the end of November.
Chronicle is published six times a year in odd months (January, March, May, July, September and November)
The Chronicle is the voice of our IIT-BHU community. We need more news, reports, photos, etc. from students, faculty and alumni. Please send your news at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submitting articles is 15th of publishing month.
Readers can post comments on Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/IITBHUChronicle.
The current chronicle issue (Sept 2014) contains the following news and articles:
* Prof. Sachchida Nand Tripathi (Civil 1992) receives 2014 Bhatnagar Award. Prof. S. N. Tripathi is currently Professor at IIT-Kanpur. Chronicle congratulates Prof. S. N. Tripathi for receiving this highest honour of Scientific Achievement in our country.
*Provides news on BHU, IITs and important national education news
* 2014-15 IIT-JEE admission statistics for students admitted at IIT-BHU. Complete analysis of student ranks and other data based on official copy received from the institute.
*Opinion article-Skill Development Opportunities-by Mr. S S Kedia (Mechanical 1975). Mr. S. S. Kedia is involved in education and training fields.
*Report on 4th IIT-BHU Global Alumni meet at Chicago, held on 13 Sept. 2014.
*Report on 2014 IIT-BHU Distinguished Alumnus Awards. Prof. Rajeev Sangal, Director IIT (BHU) honored nine alumni with the 2014 IIT BHU Distinguished Alumnus Awards.
*Manoj Sinha, Minister of State for Railways at the 4th IIT BHU Alumni Meet
*Prof. Akhilesh Lakhtakia (Electronics 1979) named distinguished alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology
Campus View page
* IIT-BHU signed collaboration agreement with 10 leading American Universities. The agreements were finalized during the visit of Prof. Rajeev Sangal, Director of our institute in USA while attending Global Alumni meet at Chicago.
* Successful Launch of IIT (BHU)-ASQ India Leadership Excellence Series-an initiative by Dr. Manu Vora (Chemical 1968)
*Prof. V. K. Srivastava (Mechanical Engineering Dept.) invited by Sintercer, Institute of Advance Manufacturing Technology, Krakow, Poland
Alumni World page
Following alumni news are published:
* SIU opens new coal facility-mine dust control designed by Prof. Yoginder P. Chugh (Mining 1961)
* Mr. Ashwani Soni (Mechanical 1976?) has taken charge as Director (Projects) at Engineers India Limited.
*Anil Kher (Chemical 1977) improving education for school children in Goa
*Arvind Gupta (Electronics 1992) wrote an article in Live Mint “From Manifesto to Budget to Delivery”. He is a leader member of ruling BJP.
* Tata Motors appoints Mayank Pareek (Chemical 1982) as president, passenger vehicle business unit
*Ajit Mohandas (CER 1995)'s ASACO plays a crucial role in Mars Orbiter Mission's success
* Employee transportation management firm MoveInSync, founded by 3 IIT-BHU alums, raises $5M from Inventus, others. It is co-owned by Deepesh Agarwal (Electronics 1998), Akash Maheshwari (CSE 1998) and Anuvrata Arora (CSE 1998) from IIT-BHU.
* Santosh Achari (Chemical 2008)’s Sellflame won Bangalore competition, heading to Helsinki for 2014 Slush Conference
* Amit Pandey (Mining 2003) selected for Future Leaders program 2014 by American Ceramic Society. He is currently working in Fuel Cell Research Dept. at Rolls Royce LG Fuel Cell Systems Inc.
*Scholarly published articles collected around the world on topics such as science and Technology, Business, arts, politics, education, health, world affairs, etc.
About Us page
*Information about Chronicle Publication
Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University
Varanasi 221005, UP