Chronicle is published six times a year in odd months (January, March, May, July, September and November)
We are sorry to state that this July issue publication is delayed due to issue with website security certificate, which is resolved now. Because of this delay, Chronicle September issue will not be published. The next issue published will be November issue, to be published by November end.
The Chronicle is the voice of our IIT-BHU community. We need more news, reports, photos, etc. from students, faculty and alumni. Please send your news at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If anyone wants to help publishing chronicle, you are welcome to contact:
Editor: Yogesh K Upadhyaya (Chemical 1977). Email: email@example.com.
Deadline for submitting articles is 15th of publishing month.
For posting comments, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
IIT-BHU was founded in 1919 and the first batch graduated from BENCO in 1923. Our institute is planning the centenary celebration in a big way.
Below please find email received from Prof. Anil Kumar Tripathi, Prof. in Dept. of Computer science and Dean, Resource & Alumni at IIT (BHU).
IIT (BHU) Campus
From: "Dean, Resource & Alumni, IIT (BHU), Varanasi" <email@example.com>
Date: Aug 11, 2015 11:51 PM
I am stating below the projects that have been approved by the Finance Committee of the institute for being taken up during the period from centenary year of BHU 2015-16 to Centenary Year of IIT(BHU)-2019-20.
I. Shatabdi Kosh
It is proposed to establish a Centenary Fund where into Alumni and other donors can generously contribute for appropriate use by the institution.
It is well known that alumni normally wish to pass on some part of their earnings, either as individuals or in a group, at various opportune times in their life time. Many of them would like to see the institute sufficiently prosperous for being able to add newer and newer functionalities for ensuring appropriate growth without waiting for input from funding agencies to start the work. Such efforts may later be nicely funded by other agencies as well. Other well-wishers of the institute/agencies may also direct their contributions into this centenary fund to be known a Shatabdi Kosh.
II. Shatabdi Goshthi Sankul
We have been experiencing the requirement of small and big halls at one place for conducting various plenary, key note and small sessions when we hold some academic meet for facilitating intense and purposeful interaction among the participants. This type of environment could be nicely facilitated if the halls, as stated above, are available around GTAC where our guests reside.
We can approach alumni and other well-wishers, apart from the government agencies, for development of such an infrastructure around GTAC under the name Shatabdi Goshthi Sankul.
III. Shatabdi Granthagaar
An institution of higher learning has to continuously engage in acquirement and processing of knowledge. The role of a modern library, integrating ICT based tools, services and environments, has become paramount in this regard. It is, therefore, proposed to architect, build and operate a modern library system keeping in mind the requirements and the future needs. Such a library may be named as Shatabdi Granthagaar. Grant-in-Aid and funding from various sources and alumni may also be sought for the purpose.
IV. Shatabdi Sanskritik Sankul
We are fortunate to have the grand Swatantrata Bhawan on the campus and the same is being used for various purposes. We need special acoustics, lay out and architecture for various small and medium size halls to be able to host functions and ceremonies on various themes, genres, traditions and cultures. Varanasi being a cultural city provides an opportunity for such purposes. It is therefore proposed to take up development of Shatabdi Sanskritik Sankul around Swatantrata Bhawan for use by the various faculties of BHU, IIT (BHU) and possibly by other organizations.
V. Shatabdi Information Technology Services Centre
Information Communication Technology (ICT) is redefining the way knowledge is explored, processed and disseminated. ICT is playing a very big role in efficient execution of administrative, few financial and even social processes in an academic institution.
It is therefore proposed to develop an ICT Services Centre under the name Shatabdi Information Technology Services Centre in the same building/premises where our Library would be housed.
We will necessarily seek involvement of Alumni in fund raising for the above purposes.
(Prof. A. K. Tripathi),
Dean (Resource & Alumni).
Dr. Anil Kumar Tripathi
Dean, Resource and Alumni
(Professor, Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering)
Indian Institute of Technology (BHU),
Varanasi - 221005.
IIT (BHU) alumni meet on campus from Dec 30, 2015 to January 1, 2016
Register for Alumni Portal at:
The IIT Global Leadership Conference was held on July 24, 25 and 26, 2015 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, California.
About 40 of our alumni participated in the meet. The photo is forward by Jaiom Sambyal (Mechanical 1981). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
IIT-BHU alumni at 2015 Pan-IIT Global Leadership Conference on 25 July 2015
INTERNATIONAL BHU ALUMNI MEET – 2016 on occasion of BHU Centenary Year Celebration
With International Seminar on “CONTRIBUTION OF BHU IN THE ECONOMICS & INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT OF INDIA AND MAHAMANA’S VISION” is organized on 25th – 26th December, 2016
All BHU/ IIT-BHU alumni around the world are requested to attend!
See attached brochure:PAMPHLET 23RD JULY 15.pdf
The brochure contains:
*Background on BHU International Meets and Centenary Year celebration
*Tentative program of Meet and Seminar
*Format of sending Abstract
*Appeal for Donation
*Delegate Registration form
*List of Office Bearers and Organizing Committees
Dates: 25th and 26th December, 2016
Venue: Vigyan Bhavan, Rajpath Area, Central Secretariat, New Delhi, Delhi 110001, India
Organized by: MAHAMANA MALAVIYA MISSION, 52-53 Malaviya Smiriti Bhawan, DDU Marg, N. Delhi.
Address for correspondence:
Shri Hari Shankar Singh, Convener
Malaviya Smriti Bhawan
52-53, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Marg
New Delhi – 110002
Phone: 011-23238014, 011-23216184 (O), 011-22476333 (R)
+919213923996, 919868755059, +918882828808, +919560002952
BHU CENTENARY YEAR CELEBRATION
Banaras Hindu University is the first residential teaching University of India, built through public donation collected by Bharat Ratna Mahamana Madan Mohan Malaviyaji. BHU is also the first example of Community participation in higher education in India. This great seat of learning not only synergized Indian traditions with modern values and Indian wisdom with western knowledge but also became a site for nourishing the holistic vision of Nationalism and Universal Values.
We feel happy to learn that Malaviyaji’s dream child, BHU has moved from strength to strength and is soon completing 100 glorious years. Malaviya Mission planned to celebrate the Centenary year of BHU from Foundation Day (Basant Panchmi) 2016, arranging inaugural function in Varanasi and will conclude on Malviya Jayanti arranging International BHU Alumni Meet and an Internal Seminar in Delhi. Malvinas Mission have already arranged some programms related to Centenary Year Celebration. Mahamana Bharat Ratna Samman Samaroh, recently arranged on 24th May 2015 in Lucknow is one of them.
The above report is forwarded by:
Hari Shankar Singh (Mechanical 1971)
Convener, Malaviya Smriti Bhawan
If you shop regularly at Amazon, designating IBGAA as your charity might help. Please read the following letter from amazon.com describing the way in which you can help with our alumni association-IBGAA (IIT-BHU Global Alumni Association). You can go the amazon site http://smile.amazon.com/ch/26-2341322 and designate our alumni association as your preferred charity for AmazonSmile program. For every purchase made by our alumni, a small part is donated to our association by AmazonSmile. Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
IBGAA is a charitable, non-profit organization registered with the State of New Jersey. It is registered with IRS (Internal Revenue Service) as non-profit organization under 501(c)3.
Please help our organization by registering with AmazonSmile.
Manu Goyal (Mechanical 1993)
Secretary, IIT-BHU global Alumni Association
The current chronicle issue (July 2015) contains the following news and articles.
* 2015 PanIIT Conference at Santa Clara, California on July 24 to 26-Group photo
* A unique way of donating to IBGAA (our alumni association) through Amazon.com (by participating in AmazonSmile Purchasing choice)
* BHU Centenary Year celebration at Vigyan Bhavan New Delhi on 25-26 December 2016. It is organized y Malaviya mission, New Delhi.
* IIT (BHU) plans centenary celebrations and mega-projects. Our institute is planning a number of projects from centenary year of BHU 2015-16 to Centenary Year of IIT(BHU)-2019-20.
* IIT (BHU) alumni meet on campus from Dec 30, 2015 to January 1, 2016
*Provides news on BHU, IITs and important national education news
* IIT-BHU ranked 6th among top Engineering Colleges in India by Outlook magazine
* No invention, earth-shaking idea from India in 60 years: Narayana Murthy
Campus View page
* Campus news:
- Discontent over Banaras IIT boss
- Orientation Ceremony for freshers at IIT (BHU) - Report
* Campus Reports:
- Dalit Boys from Pratapgarh who made it to IIT honoured at IIT (BHU)
- Appeal to support efforts of Asha Trust-by Dr. Sandeep Pandey
-Interview with Mayur Ashokbhai Devani (IIT-JEE topper)
- Alumni World page
* Following alumni news are published:
- Prof. Pradeep Rohatgi (Metallurgy 1961) receives Eureka Lifetime Achievement Award
-P. K. Singh (Electrical Engineering) took over as Executive Director, Power Finance corporation
-#DigitalIndia - Smart Health for Smart India - An article by Dr. Arvind Gupta (Electronics 1992)
- Varun Grover (Civil 2003), scriptwriter and lyricist for the new Bollywood movie “Masaan”
-Satvacart, an online grocery venture (by Rahul Hari, CSE 2006) receives funding
- Ipsator (founded by Vaibhav Saxena, CSE 2009) inducted in Pitney Bowes Accelerator Program
-E-learning startup Sigrid by Ajit Maheswari (Ceramic 2009), Aakash Kasaundhan (Chemical 2011) and Atul Aggarwal (CSE 2009) secures funding from Oliphans Capital
- DST - Lockheed Martin Innovation Award for this year won by Bridgedots Techservices Pvt. Ltd., an incubatee company of MCIIE. The Bridgedots technologies P Ltd. has been initiated by Mr. Abhishek Poddar-Chemical 2008), Mr. Tanmay Pandya & Nikhaar Jain (both Chemical 2009)
*Following Alumni Profile of senior alumni is published
- Mr. P. V. Mallya (Electrical 1953) –”We are still together!”
- Mr. Vijai Agarwal (Mechanical 1955) - down the memory lane!
- Corning, Inc. honors Dr. Satinder Mullick (Mechanical 1958) for completion of 50 years
- Mr. K. K. Parashar (Mechanical 1971) –about “Resurgent Rajasthan – Partnership Summit”
Alumni Meet & Reunion
-IIT BHU Bay Area Alumni Association celebrated their annual summer picnic on May 31st, 2015 in the Central Park, Santa Clara CA-Report
-Alumni Association Update
- IBGAA Board meeting on 13 Sept- Report
* Interview with Dr. Suri Sastri (Metallurgy 1960), Founder and CEO of Surmet, a high-tech metal-product company
* Interview with Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, and Founding Member-Secretary of MCIIE, IIT (BHU)
* Interview with Pramod Joshi (Electronics 1979), educating youths for professional careers
*Scholarly published articles collected around the world on topics such as science and Technology, Business, arts, politics, education, health, world affairs, etc.
About Us page
*Information about Chronicle Publication
On the completion of 10 years of publication of Chronicle, we have received some encouraging words from our alumni:
1) I have said this before, but it bears repetition. What the Chronicle has done is nothing short of magical and legendary! Cannot thank you enough. And I know I speak for the entire alumni fraternity of TECHNO, BENCO, MINMET, IT-BHU and IIT-BHU - all the avatars of our Alma Mater over the decades! :)
Mr. Pramod Joshi (Electronics 1979)
2) It is heartening Chronicle Team have sustained the Chronicle over the years, contributing much to our BHU-Alumni-Community.
But for the Chronicle, we would have remained pigeon-holed.
In other words, me, after nearly seventy years, still feels bonded, thanks to your team's initiate and efforts...
Just read the 'historical-note about the Chronicle’ appearing in May-2015-issue, I am enlightened:
Thank You & Team.
With Best Wishes and Regards / krishnan k.s.
Mr. K. S. Krishnan (1948 alumnus)/ Lalita Krishnan
Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University
Varanasi 221005, UP