Our institute has taken initiative to set up Shatabdi Granthagar (Centennial Library) as part of centenary celebration (1919-2019). This will require an investment of Rs. 151 crore, which will come from alumni funding (whatever possible) and remaining through government grants.
About proposed Shatabdi Granthagar project at IIT (BHU):
The Shatabdi Granthagar project is a major transformation of the current dated library.
For details, refer to the attachment here:Shatabdi Grantagar Building-final.pdf
Key aspects are highlighted here.
· State –of–the- art energy efficient building with approximately 17450 sqm, 2000 reading/sitting seats, digital library, underground parking facility, solar-powered, centralized air-conditioning system, Wi-Fi, etc.
· Active learning spaces; content and media production spaces; maker spaces (with color printing, 3D printing, 3D scanning, virtual reality, motion capture, laser cutters, design jet-plotters, sewing machines, etc.)
· Seminar Hall with 1000 capacity
· Differently Abled Section: Special library for deaf, blind and physically challenged users
· Humanities Section with Meditation/ Prayer Room and unique print, digital and audio video collections on religion and philosophy
· Estimated Cost of the Proposed Building and Sections: approx. Rs. 151 crores ($23 million)
· Sections can bear the names of donors
IIT-BHU has been a well-regarded institution of learning; however, changes such as this Granthagar are vital for its continued relevance and vitality.
Alumni Association supports Granthagar (Library) project at our institute
Our alumni association, IBGAA (IIT (BHU) Global Alumni Association) supports the institute’s initiative to set-up a Library project at our institute. The support from alumni was discussed with Prof. S. P. Tewari, Chairman Senate Library Committee; Dr. Naveen Upadhyay, Dy. Librarian-Main Library; and other institute officials by Mr. Sri Mirle (Chemical 1981), Director of IBGAA on November 23, 2015 during his campus visit.
Two possible outcomes were foreseen in this regard:
· The total project cost of Rs. 151 Crores gets leveraged through alumni
· In case the total amount does not get mobilized, the deficit amount to be sourced by IIT (BHU), through government grants
Alumni Association will soon start campaign among alumni for raising funds needed for the project.
Library at IIT (BHU)
Institute Main Library Building-The current state
To date, we have a library building of covered area approx. 44,000 sq. feet (22,000 sq. feet constructed and 22,000 sq. feet is under construction and expected to be handed over in June 2016) which is not sufficient to accommodate the current library documents (approx. 1,70,000) and more than 7,000 users which may increase in future.
Leave a comment(if you having troubles, try posting your comment on this page or send an email to chronicle @ itbhuglobal.org)
Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University
Varanasi 221005, UP